Thursday, November 18, 2010

Operation Watchtower

File:Marines rest in the field on Guadalcanal.jpgThe battle of Guadacanal, or otherwise known as the codename, Operation Watchtower, is one of the most important battles in the Pacific theatre's history.  It was part of the Allied strategic plan to protect the convoy routes between the US, Australia and New Zealand.  This seabourne launch was the second major offensive on the empire of Japan after the war was declared on the axis powers.  The Americans realized that if the Japanese army gained control of the Solomon islands in the south Pacific, accessing Austraila would be utterly impossible.  The Americans needed to seige the island of Guadacanal before the Japanese could make working airfields. 

2 comments:

  1. Some people argue this is a huge battle of attrition... and in my limited knowledge, I would agree! Nice historical post - you thinking of majoring in history?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could undersand why. I mean in the movie the allies literally made a mound of corpses when they machine gunned down the Japanese. That was pretty disgusting. I would definitely call that a war of attrition.

    ReplyDelete