Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Extra Credit Family War/Tie Post


When I look back on my family history or ask my parents about their experiences with their parents and World War I and II, I will usually get a blank reponse.  This went on for a number of years until my parents believed I was of age to hear this.  I never knew either of my grandfathers on both sides of my family so it was quite difficult to reviece stories about the war(not that they would be eager to tell about them either).  Now the next generation in front of my grandfather, which is my father and mother did not participate in either World War II, Vietnam or Korean Wars.  My father was born a year before the American invasion on France on June 6, 1944.  So at the end of the war he was just in childhood.  Once the conflicts in Vietnam and Korea came about, both my parents were able to skip the draft, both cause of age and because of college.  So my direct family does not have any major war experience like others.  Now I understand that this does not co-inscide with family ties with war, but one of my fathers idols and best friends was a member of a PT Boat cruiser on the Pacific theatre(see above).  He had passed away before I was old enough to hear stories that I could comprehend or connect to what I already currently know.

No comments:

Post a Comment